In Order to show your understanding of the material we've gone over in class for the last couple weeks, you'll create a TWO-SIDED POSTER.
-The first side will show your understanding of the Grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence. On page 154 in the SS Book, the "List of Grievances" section begins. This is where Thomas Jefferson lists all of the problems that the colonies had with England/King George (the "He")
-The second side will show your understanding of a major event from the war
SIDE ONE OF POSTER
-Read through them and pick THREE individual grievances to put into your own words: re-write them into a sentence/phrase that a middle school student would understand on a piece of paper/your notebook
-Create a recruitment poster for the Continental Army. It should have a large title at the top asking/pleading/demanding that people join the army. Then have a picture that grabs their attention. Also, on that side of the poster write the THREE THINGS you translated as reasons for people to join (you're trying to inspire them to join because of the terrible things England/King George are doing)
SIDE TWO OF POSTER
-Go through chapter 6/your notes from chapter 6 and find something interesting from the war (a battle we won or lost, something else interesting that might inspire people to help the war effort or even join the Army/Quasi Navy)
-Create an engaging title for your poster, draw something that will inspire people, explain in a few short phrases what is going on and why Americans/Patriots should care. Again, you're trying to inspire Americans to do something (whatever you decide) to help the war effort
BOTH OF THESE ARE DESIGNED TO BE LIKE PROPAGANDA AND INSPIRE SOMEONE IN 1777-1781 TO HELP AMERICA BY DOING SOMETHING OR JOINING THE MILITARY
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Spend some time answering the following questions about 3 universities you think you'd be interested in attending.
1. High School GPA requirement
2. SAT/ACT Score requirement
3. Average teacher-student ratio
4. Public vs. Private School?
5. In state or out-of-state tuition?
6. Cost of tuition per semester/year
7. What is the school most famous or well-known for academically?
8. What is the school's reputation overall?
9. Any other additional or interesting information
THESE ARE A GUIDELINE FOR YOUR RESEARCH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE EVERY NUMBER YOU FIND - BUT WE WANT A FAIRLY COMPREHENSIVE OVERVIEW OF YOUR CHOSEN UNIVERSITIES.
After you have this information, you will put it together in a presentation. However, this shouldn't be a boring presentation where you just read off a bunch of information, you can combine some of this information in ways that make it more intriguing. Perhaps you'll start with some slides showing your three picks and then explain some interesting things about those universities. Then you can explain where it is, why you want to attend that school and how difficult it is to get in to these. You can find an interesting way to show this information.
Overall, the idea is for you to organize this information in a way that will be interesting for us to watch and listen to as your audience - not just up there reading bland facts.
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
The Outsiders Final Writing Assignment
Pick from one of the following writing prompts. After each prompt, there are some words that relate to the sentence frames at the beginning of your planner. Use these to help you start your paragraphs and sentences. Be sure to read the explanation carefully and follow all of the directions.
- S.E. Hinton never uses the word "outsider" in her novel, yet it's the title of the book. Maybe she wants us to ponder whom the outsiders are. Write an essay in which you explain whom she may have meant by The Outsiders. Be sure to define what you mean by an outsider, and then explain whom you think Ms. Hinton meant. Be sure to use extensive examples from the book to back up what you say. Explain, Proposition
- Write an essay explaining why you believe each of the Greasers - Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dally - could be considered a hero. Include your own definition of hero in the essay, and be sure to explain how each character, in his own way, meets your definition. Remember to support your ideas with examples. Proposition, Explain, Cause
- Write an essay explaining which of the two gangs were more of a disgrace and menace to society than the other. Look at how society viewed and treated the two groups. Examine the characteristics of each group, its actions, and the choices they made. Be sure to support your ideas with examples from the novel. Compare, Explain, cause
- Would you consider yourself a Soc or a Greaser? Why? What are the differences? Examine the characteristics of each group, its actions, and the choices they made. Use specific examples from The Outsiders to compare your belief. Compare, Explain
Proper Essay Format:
A thesis stating your overall topic or belief, ¶s with topic sentences, proper conventions, A MINIMIMUM of one example from the book per ¶ or topic.
Should be about 2 pages. That is enough to cover the subject and fully explain your thesis.
This is a SUMMATIVE assignment and will be one of the last major grades in LA for the semester. DUE DATE WILL BE THE JAN 19TH OR 20TH, DEPENDING ON PROGRESS MADE IN CLASS.